Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Day 6

I didn't have a chance to visit with our little man until 5 PM today.  That was so hard!  Our daughter starts half-day preschool tomorrow so I'll be able to visit him every morning for a few hours.  Seth went back to work today for the first time since this all began.  He visited our guy at 5:45 this morning and visited again after we put our daughter to bed.  Working out times to visit the NICU is really tough because we both want to be there far more than time allows.  We pray that Case will get to come home soon, and we'll get to spend as much time with him as possible.

When I visited Case today, he had an apnea spell (stopped breathing) and a few bradycardias (heart rate drops).  The apnea was the most terrifying thing I've ever seen!  I know it's normal for a preemie but it is so scary to see your tiny baby stop breathing.  The nurse assured me that it's normal and said that he is able to correct it himself and that's what they're hoping for. 

On to the good news!  Case is still on 7 cc's of milk and is doing well with that amount.  They decreased the humidity in his incubator from 70% to 60% today.  The nurse told me she was amazed at how well he's doing and was absolutely astonished that he was off of the ventilator in less than 24 hours after being born.  He's been holding steady at 2 lb 6 oz for a few days but went up to 2 lb 7 oz today.  Tonight, he was 2 lb 8 oz!  Woohoo!  I got to do Kangaroo care with him again today as well.  The nurse handed him to me so I could get him in position myself and that was the first time I was able to hold his little body in my arms.  It still amazes me that he is so tiny but completely formed.  

And now for some pictures.






No comments:

Post a Comment