Sunday, November 17, 2013

Day 10 - Saying goodbye

Today was the most terrifying day of Case's life.  Our day began with a phone call from the NICU saying he wasn't doing well and to come up right away.  When we got there, they still didn't know what was wrong with him but were giving him antibiotics, blood, and platelets in hopes that it would help.  They had ordered lab work and an x-ray.  The x-ray showed that his intestine was inflamed which means he had an infection. He became a little more active and they said his color was better.  

As the minutes passed, the doctor was getting more information from his lab work.  We soon found out that Case had Pseudomonas. They said it was in his trachea and lungs. It also made his blood thinner so they needed to give him plasma. They said something about making sure it wasn't in his spine and brain and hoping they caught it early enough.  They also said something about it possibly turning in to meningitis.

We stayed with Case all morning but needed to come home for lunch/shift change.  I was still scared out of my mind but at peace in a way. I knew they were doing all they could and me worrying wasn't going to change the outcome. So I prayed and prayed.  The doctor told us the first 24 hours was the most critical so we made plans for our daughter to spend the night elsewhere so we could be with Case together.  

Seth visited that afternoon and took this video of our sweet boy.  Case was alert like this all day.  It was the most we had been able to interact with him since his birth.

 

That night, Seth dropped me off then came back after taking our daughter to her friend's house.  Case's heart rate was low and he wasn't responding to their efforts to bring it up.  Seth came about 10 minutes later and we sat hand in hand, watching the 6 medical professionals work on our son.  He had internal bleeding and there was nothing they could do to stop it.  A few minutes later, we were allowed to hold Case for his last moments.  Many tears were shed as we said goodbye to our little fighter.  

We are mourning the loss of our sweet boy.  We appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers.   

9 comments:

  1. Dear Jaci and Seth,

    Thank you for your courage in posting this goodbye to Case. Case and Hadley are blessed in having such loving and caring parents.

    Love,

    Bill & Nan

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so strong. My heart goes out to you and I will be praying

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for peace and strength for you both in the upcoming days. Case is so beautiful. I'm so glad you were able to be there with him and hold him in the final moments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry, no words are adequate for the grief you must all be feeling. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh sweet friends, i'm so so sorry. what an indescribable tragedy. prayers unceasing for you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't fathom the heartache or loss you are experiencing. I only pray that God gives you strength as He wraps Case in His loving arms. Hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet boy. Sending you thoughts and hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just want you to know what a beautiful, beautiful tribute this blog is to your sweet Case. As I type this with tears in my eyes, please know that my husband and I--though we've never met you--have been following your journey, praying for you and your family, and marveling at your strength and love for your tiny boy. I know I'm just a stranger, but please know that I'm grieving with you from Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry, Jaci. We are praying for you guys and thinking of you constantly.

    ReplyDelete